Wednesday 15 May 2013

Debian 7 and Gnome

I'm a die hard Debian fan and was recently shocked to find there was no Gnome 2 in the new release, Wheezy.

I searched around a bit and found there was also no fall-back Gnome mode to Debian 7 (Wheezy), etiher. There is no way I can work with Gnome 3. Its a f*cking atrocity in my opinion. 

So I hit the forums and spoke to people to see what they are doing. Many mentioned Mate - Mate you ask?!




There she is, my lovely - Gnome 2 or now called Mate!

Mate is a fantastic fork of Gnome 2 and are continuing the goodness for all us die hard Gnome 2 fans out there.

How do I get this Mate, you ask?

Well it couldn't be easier, the instructions are all at http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/download but ill run through them, just so I can pad out this blog post:

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

add the following line:

deb http://repo.mate-desktop.org/debian wheezy main

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mate-archive-keyring
sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install mate-desktop-environment-extra

sudo reboot

Now choose Mate from the list of Desktops on your login screen and sit back and enjoy the goodness of good ole Gnome 2.

HTH

No comments:

Post a Comment