Tuesday 16 July 2013

Join 2008 R2 to Windows 2000 Domain

So in my lab, that I carry around on my laptop, to replicate client setup's, I have many flavours of Windows and they are generally joined to a domain.

Today, I wanted to add a Windows 2008 R2 VM to a Windows 2000 Domain, so off I went:

Start > Run > dcpromo

I ran through the install and got the following error:

 Me being me, i'm always in a rush and didnt realise this had to be run on the existing domain. I was trying for about 10 minutes to run it on the 2008 R2 box:


So I ran it on the existing Win2K DC (don't shout, this is a vulnerable lab - you know!), however it didn't like it at all and I got an error about running a 64bit version of the adprep.exe! So, I Google searched and lovely TechNet told me that I need to download a 32bit version of Windows 2008, but not to worry as I could use the eval version. - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731728(v=ws.10).aspx


In the same folder as the adprep.exe is a an adprep32.exe - run that sh*t and your cooking on the gas:

adprep32.exe /forestprep

Now as long as your a member of the Enterprise Admins group and you've replicated at least once, you should be winning:



Now you'll need to change the Windows 2000 domain to Native Mode:



Now you need to run:

adprep32.exe /domainprep

You should have a successful message:



 Now run, dcpromo on the Windows 2008 box and you should be home free:


One more GIF, cause I know you like them so much ;-)


HTH

No comments:

Post a Comment